Tulip designed by Karen Painter

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sleep? What's that?

I wonder how many people with Parkinson's are awake simultaneously each night? I never had trouble sleeping, in fact it was one of life's greatest pleasures. If I was feeling stressed or had a lot to do the next day I would occasionally lie awake and not be able to relax enough to fall asleep, but I found that if I made a list of everything that was on my mind I was usually able to calm down enough to get to sleep quickly. I kept a pen and notebook by my bed for that purpose, and also so that I could write down my dreams should I wake and remember one. What I'm experiencing now is new for me. I fall asleep without much trouble but frequently wake up a few hours later and then the night proceeds one of two ways: Scenario #1 - I wake up, wide awake, look at the clock and see that it's only midnight or so, but I feel like it's time to start my day. When this happens I usually wake every hour on the hour until morning. Scenario #2 - I sleep fine until 4am or so, then I'm so awake that I can't go back to sleep so I get up, write emails, make jewelry, shop online, etc. Sometimes I'll get back in bed and sleep for an hour, then I feel groggy all day. Some nights I sleep through the night but those nights are becoming more rare. The worst consequence is that I dread bedtime, it's no longer a sanctuary, it is torture. I've tried exercise, melatonin, meditation, counting sheep, I don't drink caffeine after breakfast, etc. It is the Parkinson's because I've heard this complaint from a lot of PD people, and I've heard that the chat rooms light up with PD people late at night. What is it about the disease that causes this behavior? Although it is recognized as a symptom and problem for a lot of people I don't think researchers know exactly why this is so. I'll see what I can find and add some links if I find anything interesting. In the meanwhile, avoid telling me to "sleep well".

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I am contacting you on behalf of a swim therapy provider with a question about this blog.

    Please contact me at techgurl29@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    Kate Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. I don't know whether to blame the disease, the drugs or hormones. All I know is I used to be a champion sleeper. 8 hours a night was usual, but I was always an early riser. Now, I'm lucky to get 6 fragmented hours.
    I went to see a sleep therapist and he told me I was doing everything correctly, relaxation therapy, etc. I have Ambien CR which I use very infrequently when I need to 'put some in the bank' after several nights of about 5 hrs. and waking up at least every hour after the first 2 or 3 solid hours. It is a drag, but I've discovered I can function with fewer hours of sleep. It does cause more wearing off during the day when we've had too little rest.
    My husband can't understand what my problem is. "You're just not trying hard enough to go back to sleep when you wake up!", he says. Meanwhile, he's 77 yrs. and gets about 9 hour per night. So much for needing less sleep in one's old age!! It is frustrating on several levels. It is also very common with PWPD. My doctor says I should use Ambien every night if I need to. I still only get a maximum of 7 hours, but I don't wake up throughout the night. I'm very reluctant to take the stuff that often.
    Your scenario #1 fits me the best. I have recently found that taking my morning meds at about 4:30 A.M. (6 hours from pre-bed dosage) and staying put, I often get back to sleep for an hour or so. I expect that will change eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I also was given a prescription for Ambien but when I read and talked to others about it I decided not to take it, I threw it away. Melatonin helps somewhat, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete