Tulip designed by Karen Painter

Monday, January 4, 2010

A birthday present

I remember becoming a mother for the second time; it was 23 years ago today, and this second baby was my first son. I was convinced I was having another daughter, I don't know why I was so sure but I was. But, to my surprise, instead of Samantha, Samuel Bennett was born. It was a Sunday afternoon at the Baltimore Birth Center on Park Heights Avenue and I had an entourage of family with me that day including my 4 1/2 year old daughter Rachel, father, mother, sister, grandmother, husband, a nurse and the midwife. Sam weighed in at 10 lbs. even (yes, it hurt!)sometime after noon. The day was cold and sunny, with a lot of residual ice from an earlier snowstorm lining the streets. We stayed the afternoon, rested a bit, and were home by 6pm. Now Sam is an adult and an author on my blog, see today's guest entry. And, I think it's entirely fitting that it is his first entry and his birthday.

Happy Birthday, Sam! I'm proud of the adult you have become and I welcome you to contribute to my blog whenever you feel the inclination to do so. It's a wonderful birthday present, one that is given rather than received, and I thank you! Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment