Tulip designed by Karen Painter

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

PD Woman headed for the altar

The wayward blogger is back to reassure all who doubt it that PD does not signal the end of your life or your fun. Just to prove the veracity of that statement I am here to announce that I am getting married this Sunday! It is not my first marriage, I am one year past my 55th birthday and I have 4 children. Who, you might ask, would marry a woman who has Parkinson's Disease? Well, it turns out that there is at least one man out there who will, his name is Daniel and he professes not to be concerned about the PD. He helps me when I need it and encourages me to get to the gym and take care of myself. We live in central Virginia and still try to get outdoors to hike or kayak on the reservoir nearby, though I am finding it harder and harder to do so. Exercise has saved me I believe, I think I am progressing disease wise much slower because of the exercise. I am worried that I will hold Daniel back but grateful and delighted that he wants to make a life with me despite my disease. Wedding bells beckon and the 'honey do list' needs checking again. When we speak next I will likely be a (re) married woman. Just call me Sadie, "married lady", that's me.

3 comments:

  1. A big CONGRATULATIONS! We are women that happen to have PD. There is much more to us than our disease, but nothing wrong with having that fact confirmed by someone who sees beyond it to love us. I am convinced that there is much good living and many adventures out there for us as long as we are open to the prospect. Good on ya'!
    You might want to check out the Northwest Parkinson Post in the March/April newsletter for the article which starts on the first page. We have even more in common, I find. I, too, am becoming 56 in November. It is the new 36!! Have a wonderful wedding and fun celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! Onward to more adventures! I usually read the NW newsletter, I'll check it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vivian, I DID read that article but at the time had no idea that it was you!!! Wonderfully written and very inspirational! I am grateful that you found my blog and started commenting! I have often thought that a gathering of women with PD would be a fun event, maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete