Tulip designed by Karen Painter

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Acupuncture and PD

I don't think I've mentioned this in my blog anywhere but I highly recommend regular acupuncture treatments for people who have Parkinson's Disease. It is a terrific stress and pain reducer and can alleviate other symptoms such as stiffness and digestive problems. I see a local practitioner regularly, about once a month, and vary the length of sessions from a full 75 minute session to a shorter 45 minute session. In fact, the woman that I see instituted shorter sessions at my request, I wanted to see her more frequently but didn't feel that I could afford the long session cost. My insurance does not cover the treatment but I utilize the flexible spending account option offered by my company's health plan and get reimbursed for the acupuncture sessions thereby paying at a pre-tax rate. My practitioner also prescribes herbs for some conditions such as sleeplessness or constipation. The acupuncture, eating healthfully and engaging in regular exercise, I believe, keep me from relying too much on medications, especially those that are for some of the irritating but not too serious symptoms of PD. I've been able to avoid drugs like ambien that have been prescribed for insomnia and prilosec for acid reflux. I had an acupuncture session today and, as usual, it was heavenly. Sounds odd maybe to one who hasn't tried it. Try it and see what you think. Don't go just once, you really need a few sessions to notice results!

1 comment:

  1. If I felt I needed acupuncture, I would look into it. Living in a rural area, these services are not easily accessible, so it is very time consuming from leaving the house to returning home. It is not inexpensive, either, and an occasional massage feels wonderful, but I get my exercise done on my own and feel pretty good physically. I don't have pain or stiffness and I am constantly on the move. Stalevo has a side effect of curing constipation for me, so that's an unexpected bonus. Generally, I feel good.
    After being in a 2 year drug trial at MGH in Boston, I have a healthy respect for all the standards involved in a real clinical study. It bothers me that makers of suppliments and herbal remedies don't have standards they must comply with. Many times well wishers have suggested I take this or that for my PD. I am, frankly, not willing to spend money on what amounts to conjecture since any claim of how much is contained in a product is not tested and proven. THe makers of such products could easily afford to have real, blind studies with significant numbers of people in them, but why should they?? They're making money hand over fist anyway because people buy into the whole natural, herbal, medicinal thing. And guess what, herbs ARE medicine and used improperly can cause real harm. So I guess you could say, I'm a skeptic. Plus, I'm enjoying feeling well most of the time, too, so I'm sticking with the current plan. An occasional advil or ambien notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete